Saturday, April 5, 2008

Weekend

Today I get to take a class at Timberline Gardens!

P saved a class list for me that he got in the mail, and he knew EXACTLY which two classes I would want to take. Today is the "Lace Rock Succulent Garden" and in a few weeks, Einstein's Relative and I will make hypertufa trough gardens. (I think the troughs will already be made- we just get to plant them. I'll have to try making my own trough on some other occasion.)

Last summer, I went to Paulino Gardens and purchased miniature cedar trees that I planted in lace rock. They are SOOOO beautiful, but proved problematic. I suspected that the trees couldn't overwinter without the insulation of dense earth around them, but bringing the planters in was also inconvenient because the lace rock drains rapidly and the stones are large enough that I didn't have a tray to put them in to catch the run-off. In the end, inertia won out, and I decided to wait and see if they made it. Of course they didn't. I'm thinking that I'll bring them with me to class today, though, and replant.

And me? Green thumb? No. Here's what I will work with: aloes, evergreens, hens & chicks and other succulents, mosses, rocks.

I will also OCCASIONALLY work with my husband. There's a man with a green thumb.

2 comments:

cb said...

Those classes sound like fun! My niece Katie used to work at Timberline a few years ago. I love garden centers. I haven't put in flowers in years, but maybe this year. Although that would mean spending a couple of hours cleaning all the dead leaves and peanut shells off the patio. I don't even feed the damn squirrels (the neighbors do) but they sit on my side of the fence to eat them. Maybe I should throw the shells back over the fence?

Angela said...

Sorry about your cedars. I'll bet they were beautiful. I LOVE SPRING--the gardening classes sound great. Enjoy!