Sunday, March 8, 2009

Want to Feel Smart?

  • Want to feel smart?
  • Read Hemingway again.
  • I know, I know, you don't want to because it's so bleak.
  • I fought TOOTH AND NAILS to avoid reading H. for the March bookclub.
  • I said wait until summer.
  • But when the hostess, who ultimately has complete control, selected The Sun Also Rises, I went ahead with it.
  • The man was a genius, and you can spend HOURS examining his themes, symbols, generation, family, development, style and demise.
  • You'll feel smart. I promise.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

i love hemingway--i did a paper on him in high school and just fell in love with his writing!

Angela said...

After months of reading mainly JD Robb (I'm ashamed to admit), I've decided to read the books I should have read years ago. I just finished The Catcher in the Rye (like I said--years ago) and now am reading The Great Gatsby. Hemingway? Do you promise I'll feel smart?

How have you been?

xoxoxo

cb said...

I hate to admit, I don't think I've ever read ANY Hemingway.In fact, the book I'm reading now is pretty far removed from anything I've ever read!