Sunday, June 15, 2008

Claws for a Cause

Last night Peter, Rose and I enjoyed a steak and lobster dinner, hosted by my friends Liz and Donna. The guests purchase their choice of lobsters, lobster tails and/or tenderloin steaks, and the proceeds go to Claws for a Cause, a SIDS support, research and education group. Some donors might simply purchase their choices and take them home, but around the city and state, small parties are hosted, steaks grilled, lobsters boiled, and toasts drunk.

Donna's beloved son Andrew died of SIDS about 23 years ago, at the age of 9 weeks. We met some of the SIDS group's members who tried to guide Donna through her blinding grief so many years ago. As several couples had enduring the same unimaginable loss, conversations were subdued and poignant at times. They've been gathering annually for about 20 years, though, so the night was easy and relaxed.

Liz's patio had strings of white lights, comfortable chairs and abundant lobster accessories. My dear friends Kim and Bob were there, as well as another friend Lisa. Peter made FAST friends with Lisa's husband Glen, and the two talked Yankees baseball for most of the evening. I circulated quite a bit, and I am still surprised at how relaxed I was in the crowd. I have been troubled with anxiety pretty regularly this summer, and expected that the newness as well as emotion of the night would affect me.

It was an honor to be included in this gathering- in spite of the admittedly mercenary aspect of fund-raising, it was an occasion for trusted friends. I am keenly aware, every day, of the acts of love and support that these friends have given to me and my children. I am so grateful for opportunities to demonstrate my own loyalty.

1 comment:

Angela said...

I'm speechless. I didn't comment the first time I read this post because...what could I say in the face of such loss. Almost everything sounds trite. I'm impressed that you were relaxed. It sounds like a life-altering evening.

xxoo from Kansas