Monday, March 3, 2008

You have GOT to be kidding me

The book club is reading a NONFICTION book about, I kid you not, PAKISTAN.

And it's fabulous. Positive, redeeming, full of thrills, the essence of humanity, joy, pain. The writing is really good- and you know, voice and word choice are what it's all about for me.

I think I may be rating this one a 4. I am surprised at how much I'm enjoying it, and how much reflection it is provoking about the state of international affairs.

Check it out: Three Cups of Tea.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hi Laurie-

I can't believe it! Our book club read Three Cups of Tea in January, but in a rare show of non-compliance, I chose not to read it. Why? Because it was non-fiction & our last non-fiction selection (An Inconvenient Truth) by the same book club member was a D-U-D (as a book club selection) IMHO. You have me intrigued.

Thank you for saying just what I needed to hear over at my blog. You helped me feel better while at the same time clarifying that I did not intend to demoralize the other mom. We're all doing the best we can...and you reminded me that we all have varying circumstances (grandma nearby, chronic pain, different levels of disability).

We're planning (another) vacation in Winter Park/Frasier this summer--I envy your daily view of the Colorado Rockies!

Warmly,
Angela