Saturday, January 19, 2008

Just Dandy, thank you

Thursday night was a really, really big night for our family. All of us attended "Dandy Kids," the premier of a documentary about the brain malformation that affects our daughter. It was such a pleasure to meet the film maker and some of the families she featured in her film. We also got to meet a local family with a Dandy boy; we had previously "met" each other only via our Dandy Walker list-serve and e-mails. Our Rose was under the impression that she was the star of the night, and we were happy to let her think so.
Three of my good friends were able to attend, one with her husband, and one who followed through with her commitment even though her babysitting arrangement fell through. A very close friend (surrogate grandmother) joined us as well. Rose's kindergarten teacher (from last year), her special ed teacher and her aide attended with us. (This really made me examine my commitment to my own students- would I have done this? I hope so, but I don't know.)
It's hard to express just how much of an effort this was, but let me say: it was a school night; the event was held downtown, right across from the Pepsi Center, where a Nuggets game was being played; the "suggested donation" was $25; and the temperature was about 15 degrees.
I really struggled to express the depth of my emotions when writing the thank you notes. I finally got them written, but wept through most of the day, because I am just WRUNG OUT.

1 comment:

cb said...

Personally, I think it's always emotionally overwhelming when you allow yourself to realize how much people care about you. I'm glad the night was such a wonderful success for your family.