Sunday, August 7, 2011

Broke Down

  • Well I broke down and bought new clothes.  Now I will have no worries about dressing professionally for my new job.
  • Um, four dresses, a jacket, a pair of slacks, one blouse and a pair of shoes.
  • Is that bad?
  • What would Thoreau say?!!!!!
  • In other news, Bronc Day was small town fun.  The parade was kind of sweet, although a pitiful shadow of its glory days. 
  • Rose was pleased that dogs were in it, dressed in costumes.  She immediately started planning a parade on Raleigh St. with dogs. 
  • This parade is going to require us to buy two chihuahuas and a poodle, and it turns out that I HAVE the heart to tell her that's not going to happen.
  • The big draw was the creek, where she and her cousin and friends from Texas spent  most of the day. 
  • I laughed as the Texas parents gradually reversed their creek policies: "Stay OUT of the water."  "Ian slipped and got his shoe wet."  "DAD slipped and got his shoe wet." until finally they broke down and both boys were in, shoes off and shorts getting dipped.
  •  I do remember the boys' mother spending all day playing in the creek when we were kids, and she was pragmatic about it yesterday.
  • I don't remember my mother telling me to stay out of it, although I do remember stories about my grandmother telling HER to stay out of it.
  • Playing in that creek is one of my own childhood's most enduring memories, so let's just carry on the tradition, shall we?

No comments: