Wednesday, December 15, 2010

just wondering

So I have signed a lease on an art studio.  I make it over there about once a week, although with some time off at Christmas, I imagine I'll be there for hours.  It surprises me how productive I am in that space, all alone.  I complete one or two pieces every time I go there, pieces that I really like.  It is a luxury, although I have a great deal money-wise.  But taking this step seems to have changed my self-concept.  I think of myself as a working artist, not a dabbler or hobbyist.

Now.  The real job is evolving as well, and strangely.  I need to double-check that I actually have my hands on the wheel.  Otherwise, I'm a passenger, not the driver. 

Here's another thing that's on my mind: the cost of competence.  Have you ever been taken advantage of  because you're good at what you do?  Been given tough assignments because you could handle them?  Been promoted out of what you love and into something thankless or sterile or pointless?

Just asking.

No comments: