Monday, July 14, 2008

Insanely Pleased With This Project




A few years ago, I found this OLD frame languishing in my mom's (previously grandparents') barn. I asked if I could have it, partly because I am hobbled by sentiment, but also partly because of its dignified folk-art aesthetic, and partly because of its patina.

And here it sat. I did have one plan for it- to make one of those french ribbon memo boards, with criss-crossing ribbons.

But that apparently wasn't inspired enough, because I never did it.

I decided to register for a couple of on-line art classes (the explicit directions are e-mailed, and you can join a forum) to keep me moving this summer. The first project (out of seven in the first class) was a simple wall hanging made of fabric-backed, painted papers.

And here are my Adobe Hollyhocks.


Dang. I thought I rotated that. Oh well. Tip your head.





My boys have figured out that whatever it is I make, they lavish me with neutral praise.

4 comments:

Angela said...

My art experience is limited to the seven classic (is that even the right word?) paintings I presented to Katie's kindergarten class five years ago. With each painting I was given a few informative paragraphs and some suggested questions. I don't know the lingo.

But this is beautiful. The history of the frame gives it special character and interest...makes me wonder what it's seen.

Are the flowers watercolor? What are they painted on? I love them, love the colors, love it all.

xxxooo

cb said...

I love your art projects. They always have so much character.

Einstein's Relative said...

Not only do I lack artistic ability, but the two times I tried to channel past lives, those people lacked artistic ability too. Despite the era of modernism brought forth by artists such as Picasso and Jackson Pollack, stick figures and macaroni glued on paper plates has yet to become viable art forms.

Liz
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Heeeyyyyyy.......