Sunday, September 16, 2007

Taking Donations

Today at the PKD walk, I met the woman who donated her kidney to my friend Karen. I didn't get the whole story, but she is Karen's husband's cousin. They did not remove Karen's kidney, but just wedged Anna's in there with the other two. So Karen has three, and Anna has one.

In some cases they definitely do have to remove one diseased kidney; I read about a father whose kidney was the size of a football! No room in there for a donation! He received a kidney from a high school friend.

I don't know how Karen's sister Jane received her donation. Her surgery was a couple of years after Karen's. She had been on the waiting list for 30 months, and on dialysis for just about 4 months. I guess that makes her lucky, compared to some of the people you read about. I hope that her donor was living, but then again, I think the more families that choose to donated their loved ones' organs, the better the world will be.

I hate to spend too much time dwelling on this, but the thing is, there are people getting kidneys because they recklessly trashed their own, and then there are families like my friends. They lost their father and an uncle to this disease, they both have it, and Jane's 12 year old son has it. Well, I don't wish to be uncharitable. Alcoholism is a disease, too.

So. Would you do it? I absolutely believe in donating any usable organs upon my own demise. Peter is on the list for marrow donation, and has donated blood and platelets regularly for years. I gave blood once- came close to fainting, but I did it. I think I would give a kidney- I guess it's ridiculous to be so squeamish about donating BLOOD and even contemplate an ORGAN- but then, you're anesthetized, so the actual situation isn't so in-your-face. Of course, then there's the weeks-long recovery.

I have read about several donors who woke up in the recovery room with their recipient across from them. Anna said she spent five days in the hospital with Karen. What a privilege, an honor to be able to truly give the gift of life.

And I guess that's what giving blood is, too. Hmmm. Something to ponder, I guess.
Meanwhile, you know I am always welcoming donations of DQ.

No comments: