Thursday, July 12, 2007

The Pits

I believe I'll make a cherry pie. I'm very keen on cherries- another childhood memory features them. You know that adult realities never match the paradise of childhood memories; I've NEVER eaten a cherry like the cherries I ate when I was four. Anyway, I have some sour cherries, fresh off a tree.

I went with the Dandy girl to Einstein's house yesterday. We picked apples and made an apple pie! I thought that was the most creative invitation I've ever received, and Rose was simply delighted. She now thinks of Einstein's house as her personal domain (she was pretty resentful of the Caveman, WHO LIVES THERE) and Einstein herself as some kind of geisha, created solely to serve Rose herself.

So, apples, cherries, and also plums. We brought home the cherries and plums. I have never made a cherry pie from actual cherries. The ones in a can are pretty easy to deal with, and perfectly adequate for my bourgeois tastes, but I suppose once I labor through the pits, I'll end up with a result so transporting that it will ruin canned cherries for me forever. (Similar to how my mom's cakes have pretty much put me off cake mixes.) Sigh. Elevating my tastes is the pits.

3 comments:

Einstein's Relative said...

As a kid, I don't remember ever having to PEEL and SLICE the apples. I guess my mom did a lot more than I thought even if she cut corners. I bet that once you take out the pits you find you don't have enough (energy? cherries?) to make a pie.

Liz

cb said...

"Elevating my tastes is the pits"

Oh you are SO very clever and funny.

cb said...

And yum, cherry pie sounds good. I've never made a pie from complete scratch--the crust, the fruit. I might have to try that this weekend.